Monday, October 10, 2011

Broadcom wireless 802.11 Installing Wi-fi Broadcom 802.11 driver for fedora 15

As mentioned earlier, I recently installed fedora 15 on my system. Unfortunately, the packages did not include the drivers to my Wireless LAN card. Hence I was unable to use the newly introduced wi-fi feature of fedora. Many of my friends, I presume must have faced the same problem, so here is a little trick I used to get my wi-fi on!

Please mail me at nardz07@gmail.com with any suggestions or doubts.




Broadcom wireless driver can be installed from source package or you can install the pre-compiled version. In this post you can find information on how to install pre-compiled version using yum install. This package can be install the same way how we install Firefox 6 or UNRAR in Fedora 15 / 14. If you have already upgraded your rpmfusion free and non-free release in your system then skip the dependencies.

DEPENDENCIES

Run the following command in terminal one by one and type the password for the root when prompted.

For rpmfusion free release

$ su -c 'rpm -Uvh http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-stable.noarch.rpm' 


For rpmfusion non free release


$ su -c 'rpm -Uvh http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-stable.noarch.rpm'

Once you have upgraded the rpmfusion free and non-free release in your system then update the system using the following command. Type the password for the user when prompted.

$ sudo yum update

INSTALLING

To install the driver run the following command in terminal.

$ sudo yum install kmod-wl

Now restart your system. It should work.

Hope this will be helpful for you!!!

Till Next time, then! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment